Phil Royal Law Enforcement Academy Community Service Scholarship
History of the Phil Royal Law Enforcement Academy Community Service Scholarship: After Phil’s passing in July of 2016, while Running his 19th year for the Key Training Center “Run for the Money”. The Key Training Center and Mr. Chet Cole decided to create the Phil Royal Law Enforcement Community Service Scholarship for all Phil’s hard work, dedication and passion he had for the Key. Mr. Cole wanted to give back in a big way, he created a scholarship to be available to cadets entering the Law Enforcement Academy at the Withlacoochee Technical College where Phil was the Director of when he was employed as a Captain at the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office. The central criterion for this scholarship was the demonstration of community service. Mr. Chet Cole put together a group of friends to be on the committee that held high regard for Phil with representation from the Key Center’s Board of Directors.
In January of 2017, the first scholarship award went to Christian Miller. Since that time the committee has awarded three additional cadet scholarships to Evan Weston, Justice Woods, and Matthew Beebe.
In October of 2018 the Key Training Center decided to pass the torch to the Phil Royal Legacy to continue the scholarship, while keeping the meaning and reasoning alive under the Legacy’s direction and efforts. Since then, the Phil Royal Legacy has awarded two additional scholarship to Whitney Grice and Emory Parrish.
Mission of the Phil Royal Law Enforcement Academy Community Service Scholarship
- Provide a catalyst for continued emphasis on Law Enforcement’s partnership and commitment to community service outside of the mandatory requirements for the job.
- Financial assistance to those cadets who exemplify an understanding of community commitment as they begin preparing for their careers.
- Perpetuate a legacy in memory of Phil Royal who exemplified the characteristic of a true community servant.
Scholarship application requirements:
- Must be 19 years of age of older
- Must be a resident of Florida
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent
- Must be attending the Withlacoochee Technical College Florida Law Enforcement Academy
This scholarship, as endowed through the Phil Royal Legacy, is designed to include the following as required and initiated by the Withlacoochee Technical College Florida Law Enforcement Academy:
- Total tuition and fees
- CJ Bat
- Background and fingerprinting
- Lab fees
- State certification exam fee
- Medical examination
- Remedial arms training (when required)
- Accident insurance